Thursday, September 17, 2015

Dealing With Rejection : September 17, 2015


Hello everyone! Today's post is a bit different from a usual fashion or beauty related post. It is a post that is going to be about rejection, more specifically in the job market. Before I started this blog, I was a full time college student athlete looking to pursue my career in the business or corporate world. I worked my butt off in school and graduated on time with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Management while working a job and competing on my school's basketball team.

When I graduated in May 2014, I decided that I wanted to continue my education and go on to graduate school. I also had a year of eligibility left on my basketball career and wanted to finish out strong. I landed a part time job days before my actual graduation which made me feel somewhat relieved that I would still be able to work, go to school, and play basketball for just a little bit longer. I finished my first semester of graduate school strong with a 3.5 GPA and basketball was coming to an end as well. It was sad knowing I could compete on a team anymore, but my year was going great. I had only played on my basketball team at college for three years because I took a break when I graduated high school so I could focus on school because after all, your education is most important. With that being said, I only played on my team for three years and I reached a milestone and scored 1,013 career points, set national and school records, and was feeling on top of the world. Then, reality set in.

I had to begin my search for a full time job in the business world. I applied to numerous places, sent a million follow-up emails and I heard not once from them. I kept my hopes up and just kept on applying and waiting to hear from them. While I was on the hunt for a job, I was still in school pursuing my graduate degree and I was absolutely hating it. My professors were nasty and my class mates felt as if I didn't belong there because of how young I was. All of my class mates were a lot older than I was and they almost looked down on me as if I was smart enough or couldn't handle it. Nonetheless, I decided to stop going to that school and to take a break once the summer approached and solely devote my time to job searching. 

At this point, summer has passed and I have been on a few interviews but nothing was ever offered to me. I have applied to 300 jobs and counting and could not land a full time gig. Recently, I went on a job interview and the interviewer was telling me how well I would fit in in their company, how I would learn so much from my peers, and what my role would be at this specific company. When I left that interview, I was confident that I had finally landed a full time job. Shortly after that day, I receive yet another rejection letter that I wasn't offered the job. I was so upset and decided that I finally realized what was going on.

I had been rejected so many times because that is not the career I want or that God has intended for me. I strongly believe in the term "everything happens for a reason" and this statement couldn't be more true at this time in my life. I believe it's my time to do what I truly love and the career aspect of it will come later. I want to devote my time to this blog and start a YouTube channel showcasing everything and anything that I love. 

My advice to anyone out there who is struggling to find a career or work in general, it does take time. It will feel as if nothing is going your way or you'll never figure it out, but there will be that aha-moment where everything will fall into place. I'm still working two jobs right now as I build my brand, but I know eventually my brand will provide me enough that I can eventually leave those jobs and make this my full time gig. You have to go out and get what you want. Nobody ever achieves anything by sitting back and waiting for it. I hope this post reveals your aha-moment and makes you want to reach for the stars and achieves your goals. 

As always, thank you so much for your support. I cannot thank you all enough ! Let's reach our goals and dreams together.

xo,
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment